Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Cold: A warning of what happens to your mind when you experience a Georgian winter


For the past few weeks, it has been getting colder and colder. It's snowed a few times, and it's just cold. With the lack of central heating, my days are consumed with staying warm, and I think it's a good idea to warn others of the effects cold can have.

·      After taking a hot shower and still leaving the bathroom shivering, I’m considering the necessity of taking showers in the winter. I’ve rationalized the idea by thinking I can wash my hair occasionally in hot water and dry it immediately without having to take any layers off and it’s cold, so I’m not sweating.
·      I watch the Spanish soap operas on TV and the first thing I think is, “Why aren’t they wearing a jacket?! How can they be warm enough to not need one?” I can’t fathom a world in which a little sun dress is warm enough.
·      My day is consumed with planning where my next source of warmth is going to come from. In this way, it’s almost like an addiction – an addiction to warmth.
·      If you’re not careful, you will describe your hatred of the cold as an addiction to warmth. I second-guess agreeing to activities that will take me away from being within two feet from the pechi.
·      When I was handed a bowl of sunflower seeds that had just been cooked on the stove, my first thought was to forget eating the sunflower seeds and just hold the warm bowl.
·      I cannot see an end to the winter; I literally feel like it will never end, and I cannot see a way that it will ever be warmer.
·      My idea of the perfect day is one spent reading a book in my long underwear and jeans with a tank top, long-sleeved shirt, sweater, and jacket on top, sitting next to the pechi without the door ever opening to let the cold air in the house.
·      When people attempt to comfort me in my state of cold by saying that snow never comes in November and always waits until January and February, I want to slap them and say, “Then why is it snowing?!”
·      You fixate upon cold so much that you write a blog post exaggerating the effects of weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment