Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mulling

Warning: This post - unlike the others I have - will be less humor than serious. I apologize for this change in behavior; however, it is how my week has been. Hopefully, things will be back to normal soon, and I will be typing the rambling jokes I love so much in no time.

This past week has taught me a lot, which is a difficult feat in that I am not really seeking to learn anything except the Georgian alphabet, which I have conquered for those of you keeping track.

I am currently reading Francis Chan's book, "Forgotten God," which is a commentary on the lack of the Holy Spirit in the lives of Christians and the Church in general. I have grown up in church my whole life, and I figured I had the Holy Spirit pegged, as much as anyone could. Reading this book, however, has changed my perspective, and this week I am working on using that new perspective. Here's the problem: it's not easy. That's the first thing I learned this week. Reading about something is much easier than actually putting it into action. Bummer.

I can't fix everything. That's the second thing I learned. I really want to, but unfortunately, it it doesn't work that way. The best that I can do - especially from a distance - is to keep working on the first thing I learned. Interestingly enough, God has a better understanding of what should be happening than I do, and I tend to forget that. I have had to step back a lot this week and say, "God, Your thoughts are higher than mine. Your ways are higher than mine. You know the plan. I don't." It's kind of a scary thought. I take that back; it's not "kind of" a scary thought...it IS a scary thought.

The third thing? Life isn't fair. People who are good are stuck in crappy situations. People who are not so good are stuck  in perfectly fine situations. I realize this doesn't make sense to many of those who are not in constant contact with me, but that's okay. I think the point of the thought is that life sucks sometimes. This, fortunately, ties in with the second point I made: I can't fix everything. The best part? God doesn't expect me to fix everything; He just asks me to do my best, to follow Him along on the path.

I'm sure I've learned a lot more than those three ideas this week, but those were the three that mattered. I don't like to be that person who writes a blog on her relationship with God, which is not to downplay or criticize those who do, because I read them and like them, too. However, this was a post I wanted to write simply because it's my life right now, and my mom keeps up with my life via this blog.

Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment