Sunday, February 26, 2012

50 Words or Less: Week of February 20


Monday: One third grade class plus an hour in the sun wrapped in a blanket plus tea with a student’s family and Sopo plus a failed attempt at Skype plus a delightful piece of cake is the perfect formula for a good day in Shashiani.

Tuesday: Got home from Gurjaani to the announcement that Nika was in the village. After starting a game of King, eating fried potatoes, hot dogs, and omelets and drinking wine, we spent the rest of the night cracking hazelnuts in our palms and eating shvindi compoti.

Wednesday: Today proves I’ve accustomed to life in Georgia; I stopped by Sopo, dressed her baby, drank tea, and bought a Sim card to call America cheaply. On my way home, I ran into Nika and his friend waiting for the marshutka and greeted the neighbors sitting outside in the sun.

Thursday: Apparently one of the 3rd graders hit his classmate in the head with a book. As retribution, my co-teacher took the book from him, gave it to the kid he hit, and told him to hit him back. I learned a valuable lesson; punishing violence with equivalent violence is acceptable.

Friday: After learning that my co-teacher just wants me to talk in class, I left for my weekend (plus 3 days) in Tbilisi. Hello showers, real chai, heat, internet, and English; I’ve missed you.

Saturday: One bank card, a trip to the ATM, and two packages later, I’m one happy Georgian.

Sunday: Planned my eventual wedding, ate a box of cereal, drank tea, and listened to the same song over and over again. There’s nothing better than a day of relaxing without anyone sitting over your shoulder asking what you’re doing, in Georgian.

No comments:

Post a Comment